View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #34
milliken

Default Re: superior write ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug
What's Eli up to? What's the real relationship between Janus and Valefor? What's Lilith's destiny? What's the real story behind the Grigori? Is there any hope for Gabriel? This is exciting stuff!

Who do we need to convince before a mini-cycle gets the green light? I just don't think that it's fair to judge how it would do by the current sales figures on the existing adventures.
I know the line editor would like to do some of this stuff -- the problem, as always, is cost versus benefit, both for SJGames and for the authors.

Even the e23 IN products that are selling well clearly aren't making a lot of money -- just multiply the list price by the number of sales, and we're not talking big bucks here, clearly. Considering the number of hours it takes to get a finished page written, the authors pretty much have to be doing this more for love of the game than for profit potential.

As far as who has to be convinced that something needs to be produced, that would be the e23 editor, the managing editor, and SJ himself. And I know that it's not always so much a case of "is this a good idea?" as of "can we spare someone to work on this?", at least on the editorial/production side -- SJGames has fairly limited editorial and layout resources, and they work across all the lines, including ones that make a lot more money than IN does.

If the company were run along Harvard MBA lines, IN would have been dropped long ago -- fortunately SJ seems to try to strike a balance between maximizing profits and serving as wide a range of customers as possible, including keeping some of the less-profitable lines alive. However, the company does have to run a profit to stay alive, so the resources will always at least be skewed to serve that goal first, which means they'll be doing the big-selling products as a priority.

In any case, I know there are some IN plans floating around, but executing them will require resources to be committed, and a lot of the resources are busy with GURPS 4e production right now. Which makes any major IN product (anything more than new Superiors, say) unlikely in the short term.

It's my impression that SJ is fairly pleased with how well IN is doing with the e23 products, so I'm guessing we'll see continuing IN support. But probably much less frequently than we fans would like....

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote