View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #40
rlbeaver

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
As stated previously, problems occur when the situation turns out like this:

Speed 7.25 Knight: "I Wait until the wizard casts Roundabout, and then hit the monster in the back."
Speed 7 Scout: "I shoot the monster in the eye. It dies."
Speed 6 Wizard: "Well, the thing I was planning to cast Roundabout on is dead... I'll cast a Missile spell and get ready to throw it at the enemy over there next turn."
Knight: "...well, now my turn is wasted. Thanks, Scout."

Bad teamwork? Sure. But should it really result in the Knight losing his turn (instead of being allowed to Move, or take some other useful maneuver since he no longer has an enemy in front of him)?
Why couldn't the knight at least move in this situation? Is it just unclear or do the rules actually not allow you an action? I don't have my books, but I never thought of it that way. Then again, I ask for everyone's action and then resolve the combat sequence rather than ask and resolve each person's action in turn order. This more adequately got them thinking in one second rounds versus the 6 or 10 second rounds from other games (and it sped up combat for everyone.)

In thinking about it, in a one second round, it sort of would make sense not being able to change your action because the situation changes so fast. Coming from other systems with longer rounds, you sort of expect that you have time to change your action in a round.

It will be interesting to see how this works out in discussion, it may have me altering the way I run combats...