View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: The game mechanics for a stealth sneak-up and backstab?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk
Here's the problem. Guy with Stealth of 16? Normal chance of success ~98%? In order for him to successfully cross 20 yards, he needs to make a Stealth roll 20 times. Not even looking into it being opposed by someone else (I can do the math but I'd have to pull out my stats book) in order for him to silently cross 20 yards he needs to make 20 rolls, at one roll per second, unless he's willing to take that -5 penalty for moving faster. That means that there's about a 2% chance of failing each turn. Over 20 turns, rolling every turn causes that to snowball to 31% chance of failure. The guy with a Stealth of 16 only has a 68.8% chance of crossing that 20 yards silently. Thats the effective skill of 11-12 if we were just using one roll.

I'll try to do the math on what an opposed roll would look like against guys with differing perceptions tomorrow.
I think I see your point...and it becomes more dramatic if you're using a less overwhelming base skill. On the other hand, I have to say I'd think it a pretty impressive feat to approach inaudibly to within 2 yards of someone (after which you can step and attack safely). So I don't know that I have a problem with the odds you're getting.

It seems like distance ought to provide benefits to inaudible movement. Listen modifiers have a clear enough scale, but I don't know what the baseline distance is.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote