View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [Banestorm] Rom's custom Banestorm

Well, I've decided to try my hand at custom campaign creation, so I've decided on the following experiment.

I'm going to take GURPS Banestorm, and customize the setting to my tastes. This will include adding elements from some of my favorite Fantasy sourcebooks (both GURPS and other systems), and maybe other items as well.

So, over the course of successive posts in this thread, I will try my hand at modifying and expanding Banestorm.

So, to get things started, some basic concepts I intend to run with...

-I'm using the "Points of Light" concept. Most of Ytarria consists of wyld, vast areas that even the most up-to-date maps don't fully detail. Civilisation consists of settlements of varied size, seperated by acres of monster-filled wilderness. Even the great Megalan empire consists of numerous city-states united under the banner of the Empire. I know people have argued that Ytarria seems to have a smaller population density then the size of the various nations would indicate, so using the PoL explanation for this makes sense to me.

-Yrth is a bit more cosmopolitan in terms of sapient species. While humanity is still dominant, there are many other races on Ytarria and on surrounding lands. Generally speaking, while there is still a line seperating "Peoples" from "Monsters", there are a lot of subversions of this rule, from "Beastiary" slums for nonhumans to isolated "monster towns" out in the wilderness.

-I'm using different rules for Mana levels. I'm using the Continuous Mana rules from GURPS Thaumatology; instead of "fixed quanta", mana levels vary in smaller increments across Ytarria, with most of it being from -2 to +2, although Caithness ranges from -3 to -7. Also, instead of being a strict No Mana region, the Great Desert is a Very Low mana area, from -10 to -8.

-There are more Land masses around Ytarria, some of which have recieved some basic exploration, but for the most part, only Araterre sailors really bother visiting those regions. The generally conservative and insular mindset prevelent on Ytarria means the Age of Sail has been delayed for a long time.

-I will try to make Dungeon Fantasy tropes work on Yrth. Be warned.

All for now. More to come later.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote