View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #20
warhorse11h

Default Re: Crossbows and Ready Weapon option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'd forgotten you needed thrown weapons for it. Anyway, the double-whammy of a high damage combined with missile weapon range makes it unreasonable at almost any talent point cost. I think they should have put extreme advantages like that into some sort of mastery-tier talents, like they did for the melee weapons and unarmed combat.
I admit that prior to this thread starting, I had never paid much attention to or had much interest in boomerangs. I became curious and did a little reading about them. They appear to be as deadly as ITL represents them, but only in the hands of skilled throwers. They also appear to be as long ranged. Weapon boomerangs are also large and heavy. One source listed the weight of a non-returning weapon boomerang as being 5 to 10 lbs. A stick of wood that size is not easy to carry and multiple ones would be impractical, in my opinion, unless in a pack. Having said that, I agree that it seems that a figure in plate or chainmail would have a degree of invulnerability to something like a boomerang unless critical hit rules are being used. I seem to remember reading that knights hit in the head with a mace got their bell rung fairly easily.

I have a couple of ideas for house rules that could cut it down to size a little. One, require that critical hit rules, with DX modifiers be used with the boomerang every throw. Second, limit a user to three boomerangs, one ready, one on a sling or some other retention device and one in a pack. And last, it occurs to me that as a boomerang flies, it is slowing down, as it slows, it will do less damage. Reduce the damage by one point per MH travelled.

I hope you will excuse me for sticking my nose into this, but I hope my ideas either help or inspire a solution.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote