View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #14
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Bestiary of Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
NO SENTIENT CREATURES
One take is to have this be a "beasts only" book, eliminating anything of human or human-like intelligence. This would mean no entries for anything of human-like IQ level. It eliminates the usual human/elf/dwarf/halfling group, as well as giants, mermen, neanderthals, orcs and the like (semi-humans), and totally non-human intelligent beings like reptile men, octopi, basilisks and dragons. The dividing line would be intellect only. This implies a separate book at some point on the intelligent races of Cidri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Votes in favour of intelligent races being separate from the general bestiary. In the intelligent races book it would be good to have things like cultures, jobs, and abilities related to the races. The bestiary book can focus more on things like lifecycles, habitats, and whether certain beasts can be domesticated. If it includes plants, then it could also incorporate materials about medicinal uses and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I can't help but remember the Fantasy Bestiary and the Fantasy Folk books for GURPS worked really well -- both were better books, in my opinion, as separate books than either would have been if they had been jammed in together.

Thus, I think, speaking in the interests of getting the best possible products, I would vote for separating them out along the lines you suggest (one for intelligent species, one for everything else); but please don't "forget" to give us that book on intelligent creatures down the road!!!
I would like 2 books. I will buy 2 books. I hope they are very thick.

TFT Fantasy Folk
This would be along the lines as Shadekeep suggested. Sentient 7 IQ and above. Their societies and inter-relationship with environment and humans. Include Dragons here.

TFT Bestiary
This would be for Beast, Monster, Bug and Plant. Half a page at least for each entry.
This book should list the Sentient Races that would be in the TFT Fantasy Folk and perhaps give a line or two, but tell the reader to go to TFT FF to get all the info.

I don't know if I want this arranged per environment (like Jungle, Plains, etc.) or strictly alphabetical order. But it should definitely be into sub-book Beast, Sub-book Plant etc.

Bugs should be done as regular insects encountered singularly or horde. But you could also have mutated giant insects also.

Include dumb dragons here. Hive mind should go here, unless they form a society that humans would interact with.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is online now   Reply With Quote