View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #63
Tomsdad

Default Re: Swords and plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
He never made the attempt, so you cannot make this conclusion at all, for or against.
Yes he did, he tried both? And while you can't empirically compare either to much outside of the test, you can compare them to each other?

Quote:
It says nothing. A car bonnet is a complicated, modern piece of sandwich material often with energy-absorbing polymers between otherwise stamped and tack-welded sheet steel. It's a fun video of people bashing on irrelevant things for marketing purposes.
As I said I'm not trying to make a precise extrapolation here, and I'm sure you right about the construction of car bonnets, but it not really relevant to my point. (Well unless you are saying car bonnets are roughly as resistant to swung cutting attacks as historical plate?)

EDIT: ignore the above you're right he didn't try and cut through the bonnet with the axe blade, sorry!

Quote:
Here's the thing - if you came up with a new cartridge using the GURPS DR model - where if you get through DR you then subject the target to follow-up attacks, behind-armor explosions, etc. you would be able to use the basic cartridge stats of energy, cross-section, and relative hardness and the definition that DR 70 = penetration (not denting, penetration) of 1 inch of RHA = 20d to come up with gameable stats that work with the GURPS rules.
My point was just if my new armour piecing round just barely makes it through one layer of a tin can, it doesn't bode well for it getting through armour designed to withstand bullets. And so while you obviously can't categorically state anything until you test it directly, it's not unreasonable to make some preliminary assessments. I wasn't really talking about GURPS at all in this.

Quote:
You can't do this with hand weapons very well, and least of all with the "you only penetrate if you do double the DR" which really isn't how GURPS works at all.
Not quite sure what you mean here (EDIT: sorry I mean I get your point about the different ways GURPS goes about modelling Bullets compared to hand held weapons and the inherent differences and difficulties in doing so)

What I mean is I wasn't tying my point about the video into any precise rules tweak (well not beyond that it tangentially seems to support that cutting through material with swung weapons is generally sub optimal)?

Also I'm pretty sure you have you yourself have suggested reducing the current ability of ST based hand held weapons against DR for those who desire more realism.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-14-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote