View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #20
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Question about "You All Meet at an Inn" [Pyramid 98]

A little more about our group and how they handled it.

I am a long-experienced player, both of GURPS and dungeon crawling in general in various systems; being a general "ringer", my job was to mostly provide a warm body, while helping the GM gently introduce new mechanics or ideas.

The rest of the group were people who had played MMOs, and one referred to attacks of opportunity so they'd obviously played some recent D&D.

The GM clearly decided that the toxifiers come out if you poke the door, not just 'whenever', I'm not sure what the intent was with the flame lord because the barbarian was amusing. The barb was first at the bottom of the well due to gravity, and went straight in to kick the brazier. The rest of us were most of the way down the well by the time the barb fell down, so this didn't actually separate the party much.

I'll note that the rest of the party, including the definitely-never-played-tabletop players, had already caught on to Never Split The Party and were yelling at the barbarian to STAY. STAY. GOOD BOY. Didn't work.

The flame lord came out, and I don't know if it was just "walked in the room" or "kicked the brazier" that did it, but the Barbarian's first reaction was to say "Hello!" to it. The druid, making their Hidden Lore check, immediately backed the Barb up with a "Hello oh great one" kind of intervention, and the rest of the party caught on that Flame Lords have an ego problem and also groveled and simpered.

The GM rolled a random reaction, and got good enough that the Flame Lord was willing to suspend the BURN EVERYTHING to get more bowing and scraping. We then negotiated with it, eventually bargaining to release it in exchange for some information about the dungeon and a promise to go straight back where it came from without setting anything or anyone on fire until it got there (that was the best deal we could manage).

It didn't warn us about the toxifiers specifically, but it did warn us that the door was "trapped" and that there were demons and definitely other monsters. We couldn't find "the trap on the door" and in the grand tradition of delvers everywhere, got the barbarian to open it because he had the most HP (even after falling down the well, he didn't fall all the way from the top).

Then the toxifiers came out, and nobody needed it suggested that we need to break the torches. MMOs are excellent training for the idea of monster spawners. We had a druid and a wizard and between the two of them the toxifiers were dispatched rapidly while the rest of us smashed torches before too many appeared. Even if we hadn't had the magic, we only ended up with two, and that's managable.

I honestly think players who have played video games in the general fantasy-combaty-dungeony genre won't need that part explained.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote