View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 03:47 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: No Depth Perception and One Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
I haven't seen either on a PC in a game, most likely due to the combat penalities. But One Eye feels like such a classic trait for pirates and other rough combatants that I'd be surprised if no one has ever seen it used.
No, "Eye Patch" is a classic feature for pirates and the like. Has anyone ever seen an action story where a character missing an eye was actually disadvantaged by the effect? Nick Fury has been through 50+ years and two incarnations with eye patches while habitually shooting the wings off flies from the backs of speeding motorcycles...

Thought; should most herbivores and suchlike species with Peripheral Vision also have No Depth Perception by default? With eyes on either side of their heads, they must be getting very limited overlap in fields of vision, by and large. Of course, they rarely operate missile weapons or vehicles in the world we know, and tend to privilege flight over fight generally, so it's not like the effects would be obvious or severe.

Data point; I have mangled vision in my left eye (detached retina, repaired but far from perfectly -- it was the curse of Thaumatology), but I think I still have about 90% functional depth perception.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote