View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #3
Celti

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: No Depth Perception and One Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I have No Depth Perception, because my brain ignores one of my eyes unless the other one is closed. The penalties seem plausible, after a lifetime of reality-checking them. With those added to less-than-wonderful DX, my driving instructor advised me to give up, because I was frightening him.
As someone born with the same condition, the penalties seem rather off to me. I have just about zero trouble with hand-eye coordination and combat (well, Combat Sport — SCA-flavoured) at any range below about fifteen feet.

Beyond there, the -3 to unaimed ranged attacks is reasonable, and I would say that the -1 applies even when Aiming for any significantly arcing attack — e.g., throwing a rock is a pain at any distance, firing an arrow is difficult at a moderate range, and firing a gun is fine until much longer runs.

Driving was initially somewhat difficult, but I rapidly learned to compensate — nowadays I think I would only have trouble with deliberately skewed or falsified perspective cues, e.g., scaled-up or -down vehicles, or driving on the Infinite Featureless Plain that some people insist GURPS combat must take place upon.

Perhaps I've partially bought off the disadvantage through training?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote