View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #37
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Battletech/Mechwarrior mechs in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sure, you definitely want to give your original setting an orignal name.
Absolutely. I'm not usually allowed to name my games, my players do that (because I'm bad at it). I'd probably name it something like "Bob" or "Hank."

As an aside, back to BattleTech damage, I found some more information in Tactical Operations which puts the information above into a different, bleaker, perspective.

First of all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Operations, pg 338
RIFLE (CANNON)
Introduced: Pre-spaceflight
A weapon system hearkening back to the early twentieth century, vehicle-scale rifles (or cannons) were either rifled- or smooth-bore weapons designed with lower reloading and firing rates compared to even the smallest standard autocannons of today. Relying more on larger-caliber rounds and greater concentrations of propellant to deliver their damage, these weapons were developed by various Inner Sphere and Periphery manufacturers for centuries before the autocannon rendered them obsolete.
Then there's this little gem specifically addressing Cannons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Operations, pg 338
However, because they lack the armor-penetrating power of modern autocannons, rifles of all sizes must subtract 3 points of damage (to a minimum of 0) for successful attacks against any unit except for conventional infantry, battle armor, ’Mechs using Commercial Armor, or Support Vehicles with a BAR rating below 8.
So . . . those weapons wouldn't actually do any damage against a front-line 'Mech. The 88mm is compared to a medium cannon, which does 6 points of 'Mech damage, so it would inflict 3.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote