View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #50
Daigoro

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Expanding on my wishlist from post #41, these are some of my thoughts about what would be fun fun to try (even though I haven't finished my post from the dwarven city about how it was saved from a zombifying kobold-borne fungus by a halfling's wheel of stinky blue-vein cheese...):

1) Setting Ideas
a) Space fantasy - wizards riding warp dragons against the wolf-deity of Lupus-9 kind of thing.
b) Cross-dimensional fantasy - fantasy which isn't limited to one world, but can cross to many other mundane worlds as well as more supernatural planes of existence.
c) Agricultural theses - we've looked at how a dwarven mountain stronghold might survive, but what about hobbits, elves or nomadic orcs? Any one of these could be a sound starting point.
d) Non-Euro fantasy - fantasy, but with a different cultural basis to our default.
2) Campaign styles
a) Investigative campaign -
We set up a campaign framework where we can get the PCs to investigate different crimes or mysteries every mission. Might well borrow heavily from GURPS Mystery, but doesn't have to be a modern day setting (I'm particular to c-punk mysteries, myself).
b) Mission roster -
In older video games like Wing Commander: Privateer or Armored Core, the player was presented with a choice of missions with varying difficulties and pay-offs. A mercenary campaign might allow the PCs to do the same thing in a semi-sandbox style, but it would need a large number of available missions to choose from. A particular setting and team formation would need to be decided first, but the thrust of the thread would be figuring out different missions to present the PCs with, perhaps with a few story-arcs behind them.
c) Criminal underworld -
We'd work out a setting where you can play in a thieves guild, be pirates or smugglers, organised criminals or play small gangs in a big city. Exact genre would have to be decided first, but then we'd make a setting that such a group could explore.
A different approach for a collaborative effort:
3) Pantheons - Choose a genre and setting first, but the discussion focuses more on who the gods and titans of the pantheon are, with subsequent motivations and adventures for the PCs. It could be a pseudo-classical pantheon, elder things, an urban fantasy pantheon (such as the new gods in American Gods), or a fae or dragon-based pantheon.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote