View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Default Re: Combat Skill Bonus for taking a Damage Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
Aren't there rules for pulling punches? I don't think you get bomuses for doing less damage.
B401, "Pull Your Punches" in the "Subduing a Foe" box. You can choose to use any ST value less than or equal to your own to calculate damage. There's no bonus to hit for doing so, however.

This doesn't seem unreasonable to me from a realism angle. Naively, it would seem that it would take more control, rather than less, to hit someone with precisely controlled force. And if you have a combat skill (as opposed to sport or art), hitting people lightly is doing things differently than the way you were trained. Your timing would change with slower strikes and so on. If there were a skill modifier, it seems more likely to be a penalty than a bonus. But, lacking any real-world experience, I don't know how much difference it would really make.

The combat version of "Taking Extra Time" would seem to be Evaluate. This reduces your damage in the sense of total damage done over time (though not of a single hit), and provides a bonus to hit. Pretty severe loss of damage in most cases, though, compared to the +1 modifier suggested in the OP.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote