View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #20
Icelander

Default Re: On Swords, Blades and the Song of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Fair enough- the different reach is a significant stat difference. The 16th and 17th centuries aren't my field, so I can't say whether the difference is really needed. You do already have the three sword types I mentioned, with the Basket Hilt option, to represent a Schiavona though.
This is true. However, the average jian, for example, would also have Cut-and-Thrust sword and only the very largest examples would use the stats from MA.

Quote:
Edit: Also, a point-savvy fencer would just buy Weapon Adaptation (Thrusting Broadsword with Rapier skill) to get a cheaper, more damaging weapon with the same reach and fencing parry as the Cut-And-Thrust Sword.
Note that I mention the possibility in my house rules. As you'll note in MA, no style includes Weapon Adaptation (Broadsword with Rapier), even though there might be historical evidence for such for some of them.

I think that this is partly realism and partly game balance. Using a weapon in a fencing stance and with a fencing grip probably should not allow for full Broadsword damage. While I allow the aformentioned Weapon Adaptation Perk, I reduce damage for any weapon used in a fencing mode to the maximum base damage of sw cut and thr+1 imp (other bonuses add normally).

So a broadsword used with Weapon Adaptation would actually have the exact same stats as a Cut-and-Thrust Sword. The difference is simply that such a weapon (slightly shorter and broader than the Cut-and-Thrust Sword, by default) could also be used with Broadsword skill for a +1 to damage.

Quote:
Agreed. I think that should be the first step in any attempt to tighten up the GURPS weapons stats to represent something specifically historical. "A Spear is a weapon 5-7' long with a tapered hardwood shaft and a sharp metal point" for example.
Spears are a good example of weapons where the listed Reach in GURPS is simply wrong. If a one-handed longsword, jian or Basic Set katana is Reach 1,2; then a one-handed Spear is certainly Reach 1,2*.

I'm hoping CCoI fixes this.

Quote:
My feeling is that a one-handed weapon becomes Reach 1, 2 around 40`` of total length. Add a few inches for a two-handed weapon.
It also depends on how it's used. In general, you need only a few inches of blade to make a thrusting attack, but you can't make a full-power swing at full-extension. So a weapon with Reach 1,2 for both the swing and the thrust needs to be longer than a weapon which gets Reach 1,2 only for the thrust and Reach 1 for the swing.