View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #26
JimTullis

Default Re: The most efficient body type RE: fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
But it's fine. It's a game.
If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
For Mystery Science Theater 3000."

This is True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
But that's not the way a wheel motor would work.
Still, I'm Respectfully Curious as to why you believe a Wheel Motor wouldn't work as part of the wheel?

The following bit is to clarify the terms as I'm using them and not meant to imply that the reader doesn't know this.
There is a difference between Wheels and Tires. Tires are part of the wheels of cars. But I'm using the term wheel to describe the central metal structure regardless of whether a tire is mounted on it.

I've taken a lot of ceiling fans apart. The blades are attached to a metal drum that is the outer shell of the motor. {There is a secondary aesthetic cover with no structural value.} The core of the motor is attached to the ceiling by a simple rod with a mount at the end.

I believe a solid mounting point with a power plug is all one would need on the chassis of a car. The metal structure of a wheel could contain the motor. {This would actually make front wheel drive easier since there is no need for complex couplers to transmit motion to the wheels while allowing steering.} Being an electric motor, it can be designed to also act as a brake, by reversing the current to the windings. {This isn't a good idea on most contemporary electric motors because they aren't engineered correctly to take the strain.} A set of sensors and a simple computer program would be needed to keep the wheels in sync.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote