View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #661
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

OTOH I picked up an iView SupraPad i700QW during a Christmas sale. The main reason I bought this one is because it was a ridiculously cheap Windows 8 tablet. It's limitations are many-fold; first it only has a 16GB SSD built in, which is just barely enough for Windows. This means jumping through hoops to install programs onto an SD card. On the bright side it did take a 64GB SD card with no issues. It's screen isn't IPS, and the viewing angle is pretty horrible, which means that when used in portrait mode you can actually see color inversion in either one eye or the other. On top of that its native screen resolution is only 1024x600, which is below the minimum requirement for Win8, so they upscale the resolution to 1280x768. This causes text to be a bit blurry, I had to go through quite a few hoops to get it to run at the native resolution, and still wind up having to change resolution back to the default in order to use any Win8 touch apps.

OTOH, it does run GCA decently, and works well enough with any of the Windows PDF viewers - in fact it can run any native Windows programs (assuming the CPU and RAM requirements aren't too high), and has been a good testbed for me with windows tablets. It also came with a 1 year subscription to Office 365, which normally costs $50 by itself. I'm happy I bought it at the $50 I got it for, but do kind of wish I'd spent a little bit more to overcome it's various limitations.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote