View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #63
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Waiting always changes your sequence, AFAICT.

GURPS turns are about a second, doesn't matter when they start, but they are a sec of action, and your next turn starts a sec after that.

Besides, if waiting didn't change your sequence you'd have people taking two turns in a row, which is clearly wrong.
This is splitting hairs, but having been in a few of these, here we go:

Waiting does NOT change your turn order, but instead postpones your the execution of your actual actions until later within your own turn. When your original turn order comes up again, unless you wait again, you can go right then.

Semantics? Probably. But in fact, you decide when you Wait that instead of acting at t=integer(N) seconds of your own personal time clock, you will act sometime between N and N+1, if the triggering condition occurs.

By rights, there are some things you shouldn't be able to do, since you're eating up part of your turn waiting . . . but game mechanically, it's easier to just say you get a full turn's worth of stuff, but it only happens if your trigger occurs.

But once you Wait, you don't go after Player Y (who set off your trigger) from that point on. If you've got the highest Basic Speed, you "go first" in the sequence, even if your action on your turn is to defer your actual action until some specific thing happens.

In practice, this means that with many Waits, the "action order" and the "basic speed order" may never be the same, but the actual basic speed order is fairly inviolate by RAW.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote