View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: initiating HTH is an attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The wording at the bottom of ITL 116 is explicit that the attempt to enter HTH comes during the movement phase. This is backed up by the last paragraph of the introduction to HTH (on ITL 117) which states that HTH attacks are rolled for during the combat phase.
Hi Shostak,
These are good points. As Larsdangly stated earlier, the rules don't handle this well. I will share some quotes from the rules that make it clear it happens during the Combat/Action phase in some situations, and then everyone is forced to justify these against each other. I will get to it.

First to your point about what you found on ITL 116-7. Since I believe HTH may be attempted in either the movement or combat phase, depending on the condition of the situation, those sections are referring to when it happens during the movement phase. And rolling during combat phase does not change anything either way. Please read on.

---

ITL pg 103 option (o) for attempting HTH when engaged states "During the
movement phase, the figure stands still or shifts; when its
turn to attack comes, it moves onto the hex of any adjacent
enemy
, and attempts to hit with bare hands or (if it was ready)
its dagger."

From the attempt engaged HTH option above you can clearly see it states that HTH attempt occurs during the Combat phase.

---

ITL pg 103 movement section "A figure must stop its movement for the turn when it becomes “engaged” ".

and

ITL pg 116 "If the attacking figure is disengaged, this is a regular move."

The point of the above is that HTH attempts that force you through a front hexside force you to first stop to be engaged. In these situations, you may not attempt HTH during the movement phase since you are first forced to stop. But if you are able to move onto your foe without getting engaged it is a regular move, that is, done during movement.

---

It is a mess to pick through. This is how I read it. Best wishes.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote