View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Which weapons may be Fine Weapons?

An excellent question, and one that wants attention since it's not clear what the rules mean.

In my original TFT campaign, IIRC, we weren't clear what the rules meant, but at some point I gave up trying and decided to just allow fine everything up to +2 damage, +1 DX, though fine weapons were rare, as tended to be master armorers who were immediately available to make weapons for adventurers.

(Then we started using GURPS, which has clearer (except now there are multiple different versions) and slightly more detailed fine weapon rules.)

To my eyes, I would interpret the RAW as:

* "Cutting" weapons can go up to +2 damage, and other weapons listed can go up to +1 damage.

* Daggers can go up to +1 damage, but no DX improvement.

As for what weapons qualify for +2 or +1 damage, I read this as:

+2: Saber, Shortsword, Broadsword, Bastardsword, Two-Handed Sword, Greatsword,
Hatchet, Small Axe, War Axe, Battleaxe,
Halberd, Pikeaxe

+1:
Dagger, Rapier,
Hammer, Mace, Morningstar, Great Hammer,
Javelin, Spear, Cavalry Lance, Pike

Note I do include Morningstar, both because it means what's called a "mace & chain" OR a spiked mace, both of which are mace-y, AND because Steve has a published example of a fine +1 damage morningstar in one of his adventures (to avoid spoilers, I'm not listing where).

As fas as Main Gauche, I could see deciding it's a dagger and allowing +1. Makes sense. On the other hand, it is a bit of a weird weapon, and now that it's been made rather better than it originally was, I might want to limit its potential greatness in that way.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote