View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #16
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
My point is not that you can't find a way to include psionic technology in Star Trek; it's that there's no sign that such technology exists. I think most people would find such technology to be too jarring to exist in a setting that is supposed to emulate Star Trek. "But I don't need a psychic connection to my phaser!"
OK, just checking, but have you read GURPS Psi-Tech? Your words give me the impression that either you haven't, or this is another area where you're interpreting things rather differently than I am.

In the Psi Trek setting, I'm thinking that in most cases, the psychic connection is below the level where it's noticeable in-game most of the time, unless you're doing something specific that requires it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Trelane makes a point of admiring Napoleon, and Napoleon did most of his thing in the 19th century. Trelane thinks that Napoleon is relatively contemporary.
OK, the very early nineteen century, then. The point, which I think we both agree on, is that the writers really didn't care about what dates other writers had used. I'm not happy that we've spent this many posts discussing this tangent, but I don't blame you for it.

Do we have any consensus on whether we want to just create a new timeline for the 'Genetics Wars' (or whatever we end up calling them), or use something based on TOS , or TNG? Do we want to further discuss that?

EDIT: I don't really expect us to have a consensus on this yet, but I'd really rather we were discussing that, instead of going in circles around the unfortunate fact that most American TV writers have historically not cared about continuity anywhere near as much as fans do.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 08-26-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote