View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
Stormcrow

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
JAEGER: Notice the period, Captain. Nine hundred light years from Earth. It's what might be seen through a viewing scope if it were powerful enough.

TRELANE: Ah, yes. I've been looking in on the doings on your lively little Earth.

KIRK: Then you've been looking in on the doings nine hundred years past.
Whether their knowledge of history was exact, I'm sure their knowledge of astronomy is excellent. It's hard to run a starship without it.

I don't see how this can be interpreted any other way. "The period," the decor of Trelane's house, is what might be seen by a powerful "viewing scope" nine hundred light years away, because it took the light nine hundred years to get there.

We've taken this topic off track, though. Suffice it to say that later Star Trek fixes the timeline rather firmly, and any aberrations in the original and animated Star Trek series must simply be considered apocryphal.

According to the philosophy of this topic, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't copy the Star Trek timeline, just create your own. Or don't! To really recreate the original Star Trek feel, maybe just create the vaguest of outlines for your history that you can hang adventure seeds off of.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote