View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #40
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Shortening Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, for that particular setting, the sorts of hoodlums who in the current day prefer Technicals might instead consider deploying TL6 type stuff such as the conveniently statted Sherman or Panzer IV, as it is generally held in the setting that TL 6 stuff can be knocked out conveniently and easily like modern day criminals make zip guns

TL7 stuff is somewhat trickier, TL7 stuff can be viewed like the future analogue of Sten guns in buildability

Your friendly T72 knockoff is made of slabs of primitive alloys and such that can be churned out by an low end autofac with pretty wide tolerances with debateably skilled employees, like with modern license plates
I don't think TL9 or 10 scratch armor would actually resemble a T-72 that closely.

As technology marches on, not everything slides at the same rate.

You might (might) use a similar hull form and overall plan. But you'll probably vary in more respects than you imitate.

You'll probably replace the engine with a modern consumer powerplant. With a multi-TL advantage you'll likely get something that's better and cheaper than re-constructing a 20th century relic. It may take different fuel. You'll certainly modernize the optics and electronics using modern either civilian-standard or military-surplus off-the-shelf parts, either of which will make the original gear look like garbage. You might keep the weapon system, though you could probably do better without raising the production cost and surely could improve some of the ammo at least. It would almost certainly add a bunch of external cameras for better visibility and a remote controlled mount for the anti-air machinegun.