View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [DF] Striking ST (only on surprise attack): what's a surprise attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I'd say from the text of DF2 (pp 11-12) it only applies when your opponent is completely unaware (basically sleeping, but I might allow it during a social sequence with a fast-draw knife) or after you make a successful Stealth roll at the start of combat.

I wouldn't allow it for a surprised character unless you also made the Stealth roll, and I certainly wouldn't allow it for a generically stunned character.
The OP is almost certainly asking about the Thief template's option (in DF3) to buy 10 levels of Striking ST with a -60% Limitation that has something to do with surprise (I don't recall the specifics).

That one always struck me as too cheap. It's an obvious atempt to try to simulate the backstabbing of AD&D or the sneak attack of D&D3, but it has to work against conscious enemies during combat in order to be worthwhile, yet on the other hand (which I take is your point) -60% is way too much of a Limitation. -40% or even -30% would probably be more reasonable for a "Backstab" Limitation.

Also, it may be a bit odd that the bonus is Striking ST, since that helps to penetrate armour. I'm not sure what else it should be (GURPS isn't very flexible), but something to do with knowing which vulnerable body parts to aim at. Or knowing which vulnerable armour spots to aim at. Usually the armour is specifically made to not have vulnerable points over vulnerable body parts, so it doesn't make perfect sense to me.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote