View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #11
Tomsdad

Default Re: [MA] What is this move?

I think some of it is the difference between martial arts training* done with either a nominal view towards certain MMA rule sets (or at least influenced by them). i.e Bare feet, known surface, no stamping in general, no kicks to the head of prone targets, and also one on one situations. And real life fights. You might be god's gift in ground control in the ring, but it's not going to help you much in the local pub when the chap you tying up on the floor has mates, or just a crowd that might turn against you out of active spite or puts the boot in just for a laugh.

As well as just the general point of fighting multiple people while prone. Some of those mates while they initially might not have been as proactive or committed as to attack you head on face to face and upright. They might feel braver when you are flat on you back and busy (i.e you a less intimidating, more tempting target)

*and that won't be all training in a particular Martial art ever around the world, there's a lot of variation in how nominally the same martial art is taught and trained in (and yes that's going to get into the distinction between Sports skill and combat skills which are distinct things in GURPS but less so in RL at times)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-22-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote