View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [MA] What to do about 'orphan' Style Perks / Combat Perks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The point is that unless the GM specifically limits access to techniques and Cinematic Skills, someone with Trained by a Master can start play with any and all of them he chooses without paying for Style Familiarity.
Hmm. This is not the impression I got from the RAW: " One of the primary purposes of Trained by a Master is to give access to cinematic abilities, which might include:
• The cinematic skills [...] – but only if they’re part of one of the martial artist’s styles!
• Any technique or perk marked with an asterisk (*) to indicate that it’s cinematic, provided it belongs to one of the martial artist’s styles."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Style Familiarity is thus only worth a point if it brings with it increased access to Perks that the character desires. As not all styles, as written, even include any useful Perks, the least a GM can do is be willing to consider alternative versions of styles that do.
And the Claim to Hospitality, and the ability to ignore one level of Deceptive Attacks/Feints. In fact, I feel that Style Adaptation is very much inferior to Style Familiarity.
I do agree that some of the styles are very meh in terms of Perks. And yes, I do find it disappointing. Perhaps it would be nice if after taking all the Style Perks, a character's newer style perk 'slots' could be filled with out-of-style perks. That would get rid of the 'only pick Style A if you plan to spend less than W points in it, otherwise consider shopping for a different style'.

On the other hand, I do find the game of style-shopping in the hopes of building the most character-suitable mixed style, to be an interesting affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Perk limits are more "what you can justify starting your character with" than "hard restrictions on the number of slots in your brain." They exist to keep people from entering play with overcomplicated characters with dozens of perks, not to make training weirdly regimented. If you have 10 spare points and survive the Ten Chambers of Murder Fu, and the warrior in each chamber teaches you a secret trick, you can buy 10 perks. You just can't give your new warrior with Karate (H) DX-2 [1] every perk that makes sense for Karate – mostly to preserve the GM's sanity.
Interesting. This is the feel I got from the explicitly optional perk limit in PU2:Perks, but not from the description of the Combat/Style perk limits in MA/PU2.

----
Also, a side note: I find it interesting that MA's Style Adaptation only grants access to more Techniques, but the one in PU2:Perks generalises to ' skills, techniques, and perks'.