View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Icelander

Default Re: [MA] What to do about 'orphan' Style Perks / Combat Perks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Interesting. IME, one of the prime goodies of a style is the access to large numbers of good perks earlier, in case of TbaM/WM - access to neat Cinematic Skills, and then access to one or two desirable Techniques.
Of course, in all cases that should be read as 'skills/perks/techniques that are needed for my concept/build'. Even for someone who is not aiming for TbaM/WM, nor for Techniques (e.g. I'm not aiming for any Techniques in my next campaign), there's still significant benefit in getting lots and lots of cool Perks early (personally, I'm aiming at Armour Familiarity, Power Grappling and one or two Unusual Trainings).
The point is that unless the GM specifically limits access to techniques and Cinematic Skills, someone with Trained by a Master can start play with any and all of them he chooses without paying for Style Familiarity.

Style Familiarity is thus only worth a point if it brings with it increased access to Perks that the character desires. As not all styles, as written, even include any useful Perks, the least a GM can do is be willing to consider alternative versions of styles that do.