View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #27
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy on the cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Since they are both supposed to represent six seconds of actual time, the alternative tends to hurt my head. What's D&D guy actual doing during all that time anyway.
Often taking a Move to go with his Attack, along with various other things that were Free actions at the time and for the system.

Saying that D&D 1e was "supposed to be 6 seconds of actual time" assumes that the designers had a lot of interest in actually tying it to real time. They didn't. They provided some vague notes about real world units, but this is from the era of RPGs where Turns and Rounds were important game mechanics and distance moved depended on if there was a roof over your head or not (and oh gosh, AD&D is where you got intitiative re-rolled every turn and it mattered which weapon you were using and what spell you were casting as it modified initiative and aaaugh the dice, the dice!).

Yeah.

GURPS is explicitly tied and tethered to real world units. This was a New Idea for most gamers when GURPS came out - and frankly is still a bit of a radical concept when you consider the White Wolf system(s) prefer time units based on dramatic rhythm rather than actual time.

Anyways, I think I've derailed Eric's thread long enough.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote