View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #46
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Default Re: Is a 5th Edition coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf
If they want tougher characters, up their starting CP totals and give them some "tough guy" templates and lenses to help them out. Magic-based ablative force DR might be perfect, for instance, depending on their character concept; either that, or enchanted armor/weapons.

That's just a tip. It sounds like they're after a pretty high-powered campaign, so you could start them off with, say, 150 points (which is rather high powered), tell them to come up with disadvantages, and then tell them that they're, say, equivalent to level 5+ to D&D characters. That way, they'll have an idea of what to expect.
Well, that's some of my players. Others are perfectly happy to drag along their one bad foot on 50 CP's. Welcome to my world.

I know how to scale the powerlevel up with CP's, I have been playing GURPs for 12 years. The core of this problem is that my players have different expectations for what they're doing in campaigns. Some of them are Power Gamers, and Butt Kickers others are Method Actors, and getting a single campaign that will satisfy their simultaneous needs for being powerful, but still getting the best of their environments is tricky.

Some of my players ask me to run adventures at higher levels, but then grouse that the opposition is stiffer. Others want challenges.

One of the problems with running campaigns in GURPS (for my group) is that some of my players are so used to playing D&D, and have so many of the monsters memorized (in terms of their combat abilities) that there is very little tension in a D&D combat encounter. Either you know that you can wipe out 8 Bugbears, or you know they'll wipe the party out (and will know to flee). Instead, with GURPS, depending on the campaign style and setting, and how the opposition is built, it's not always clear to them whether they will be victorious in a given encounter... So, they decide that to hedge against the uncertainty, they need more CP's.

I've played D&D in cases where the big Bad encounter at the end of a long module was taken down in three combat rounds. Poof! you win!

I prefer to GM with a bit more tension, and with opponents that aren't statted out. A well-run team of Goblins can take down even the mightiest warrior, if the warrior isn't on his toes.

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan

Last edited by Pmandrekar; 09-08-2007 at 10:13 AM.