View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #48
Tomsdad

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
In case of TSh AoA rules, it's probably a case of both striving for more literalism and for more verisimilitude. Though probably the playtesters and author know better, and I could well be wrong on that one (I'm getting to the chronological mistake bit in the next post . . . ).

I don't think TSh players/GMs/authors want to make realism more difficult, but make some actions difficult. Not saying it is wrong - I'm mostly convinced the intent is right, even though I have some gamist disagreements about the execution of the intent (but which are difficult to address outside either Alternate GURPS or an edition change).

I think 'more nuance' usually goes hand in hand with 'more literalism'. E.g. all the new Techniques in MA imply that the player gets to make more precise choices about what is happening. A spinning kick is no longer a fluffy description of an AoA or a kick - it is now invoked if the PC takes the Technique, and it has precise modifiers and effects.
Again as above I don't think it was drive to make some actions moire difficult, but to make some actions more realistic, difficulty was an side effect of the change not the driver of it. In some instances that meant changing the balance in game effects. Sighted shooting lost it's defence but gained an extra +1 (and following shots bonuses), unsighted get other positive mods but loses the ability to aim and defend.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote