View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #1174
zuljita

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Upon discussing DFRPG at 2 different stores here in Austin (the home town of SJ Games), I learned both times that management had never heard of it. One of the stores decided to order a copy based on the look and feel of the product once he held it in his hands. This was a guy who when I first mentioned DFRPG said "It's too hard to sell against D&D and Pathfinder, I don't order other RPGs". The demo I ran at another store got people who weren't even a part of the demo to buy a copy just from looking at the material.

This game may have had a chance to take off if it had been given more time to build a bit of word of mouth steam or some marketing dollars. It's only been in retail channels for 4 months so far right? Why are you calling it failed with so little time to build any buzz? There are ways to generate buzz before the product hits the market, but, I never saw any marketing for the product outside of GURPS fans and authors pushing the product. I saw facebook posts, by SJ Games, but never did I see targeted advertising, despite the fact that my digital footprint makes me an *easy* target for DFRPG advertising.

The market for RPGs compared with other types of games is somewhat different. They take more time to produce, to learn and to play. RPGs have a different life cycle. Treating the DFRPG box set the same way you treat Nanuk or Revolution limits its ability to succeed and prevents the wider GURPS world from growing as well.

Personally, I'd ask you to reconsider the decision to never reprint. It's an excellent product and I'm proud to be able to show off the products in the wild. It gets difficult to Demo a DF GURPS game at my FLGS if most of the material I'll be using, they can't sell.