View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Sagitta

Default Re: I heard it on the grapevine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
(I could probably go on a long time about discretion, but I think Scott would chase after me with a frying pan if I added so much he had to re-layout the document.)
Ah, I should have made you promise an explanation before telling you that. Well, unless I hear different, I intend to play it like this:

If a Free does some task for demon X, by default she is honour-bound not to reveal anything that X, his allies and his superior tell her or show her relating to the mission. In fact, even if she refuses the job, she's not meant to divulge the details of the proposal. This is all part of the usually unwritten agreement, which also includes the understanding that employers do not destroy or (worse!) imprison former agents to protect their secrets.

On the other hand, if she discovers things about other celestials, she is free to dish the dirt, spill the beans, and let the cat out of the bag, unless she negotiates a separate Geas. A special agreement would also be required if her employer wants her to propagate his own 'spin' on what happened, particularly if that involves lying to the employer's Superior or to other Lilim.

There is always the possibility that a free Lilim will betray a confidence, despite the unofficial code. She might be foolhardy enough to try to get away with a double-cross, or desperate enough to accept a bargain to reveal all she knows about certain parties, but probably less likely than a servitor would. Free Lilim may however be more liable to be tortured by the Game. If it becomes known that a Lilim betrayed a former employer, she will get a very bad reputation, and other Free Daughters will perceive her as a liability. So she won't let it become known.

Generally a Free Lilim is only allowed to pass on a fraction of what she sees and does. But this pittance of information becomes a vast fortune when multiplied by the number of Daughters who trust each other. The gossip streaming into the Guildhall from every Principality - and from Earth, the Marches and sometimes Heaven - makes it one of the best-informed areas of Hell. It may not have as much data as the Archive, but it's a lot easier to find the facts you Need.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote