Thread: FnordCon Update
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #37
Magesmiley

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post

For the "custom" event, I also tried to design a "reroll generation machine"; at the start of each turn, I generated two Aces, and *seven* Control markers. Add to that the devices which negated engine damage from heavy acceleration and braking, and the device for converting a yellow maneuver die to a green -- well, at one point in the game, I performed *three* speed-5 D-2 maneuvers in one move, and suffered a whopping *one* point of tire damage. For this, I ended up with no fewer than *five* available rerolls. (And given my luck with dice, I needed them....)

That said: I spent most of the games at Speed 5, and never really had a problem with control -- the playmats were big enough to allow "edge of the world" tactics, saving Control for when it was needed. So I can't agree with the statement "staying at speed 5 all the time was tantamount to suicide".
I'm not sure how you managed 7 control markers at speed 5 - when you got up to a speed of 5, two of the control markers (the ones on the speed section of the dashboard) got covered up, which only left a possible 6: 4 for the tires section, plus the 1 for the improved suspension, and another one if you took the amateur driver (which if you took it meant you didn't get the two green reroll dice for the veteran driver).

I was alternating between 3 and 5, as it let me keep seven control markers when I went 5 and five on the turns I moved 3. (You get your control markers based on your speed at the start of the turn and change speed right before movement.)

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote