View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #45
Dagger of Lath

Default Re: First thoughts on D&D 4th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
I've found that the average player (D&D and GURPS alike) aren't going to be fooled by labeling everything "Core". Chances are that, named core or not, people will end up picking up primarily the books that they need for the games that they intend to run and play in.
I meant less so the labelling of "core" and more the functionality. If I'm looking for a rule in GURPS I look at campaigns 60% of the time, characters 30% of the time and another book maybe only 10% of the time.

In D&D 3.x, until the release of the rules/magic item/spell compendiums there really were no go to resources. The rule you were looking for could be anywhere and you'd have to either have a good memory or go hunting for a long while.

Or for another example White Wolf's NWoD books. All the base "how the world works" rules are in the main book, then the extra rules for being a vampire are in the vampire book, etc.

It seems though that 4th edition will not have a standard "This is the one book you'll ever truely need" system and will just scatter new rules and ideas through every book of their product line.
Dagger of Lath is offline   Reply With Quote