View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #40
Flyerfan1991

Default Re: First thoughts on D&D 4th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
I dunno - the "skill challenge" system seems to allow for lots of interesting non-combat stuff that wasn't really possible in 3.X...
You mean explicitly possible within the ruleset or you mean possible only by multiclassing?

Quote:
D&D always was a combat-intensive game - but combats are also the parts of role-playing games where imbalances are particularly noticeable. Frankly, combat is the part of the rules gamers tend to use the most in most games, so paying particular attention to the combat rules so that they work efficiently doesn't strike me as a bad strategy.
I'd not mind that if there was some emphasis also placed on roleplaying in the pages. That's one of the big reasons why I like certain supplements: the roleplaying and scene setting in some supplements are very well done, and can provide some great ideas for home grown campaigns. However, in spite of the roleplaying stuff they put at the beginning of the PH, the rest of the PH seemed to be setting up a lot of "combat is where IT'S at" commentary.

--Mike L.
Flyerfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote