Thread: Un-nerfed Mages
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #76
Nosforontu

Default Re: Un-nerfed Mages

Keep in mind I am just eyeballing the problem mentioned in the thread and I haven't actually tried out the following suggestions yet as my concern tends to be in trying to keep the mage from dominating games or character designs due to its flexibility rather than beefing it up. Also keep in mind my magic book is at a friends house right now so all of these ideas should be taken with a grain of salt.

A couple basic ideas.
1) A technique for either individual spells or perhaps for the entire college that reduces the fatigue cost for the spell by one for every level you have in the technique. You can either leave it as an uncapped technique or put whatever cap you want on it.

2) Add new V. Hard versions of spells that are identical in every way to another spell except it uses a more favorable range category and requires the other as a preq.

3) Reduce Range penalty technique again either as a per spell technique or an entire college technique that reduces the range penalty by one for the spell for each level you have the technique at.

4) Use the precedent set by the various brawling skills (karate judo brawling etc) of giving small bonuses for having a skill of DX +1 or DX +2 in the skill. In this case you might increase range category for regular spells if your skill in it is at IQ +2 and for damage dealing spells you could increase the damage per die by +1 if the spell is at IQ +1 or by +2 damage if your skill level is at IQ +2

Hope these ideas help

edited for a couple more ideas

Last edited by Nosforontu; 12-21-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote