View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #362
Kalzazz

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

This reminds me of the quote in 3e Spec Ops that I can't remember exactly, but roughly goes - 'where laziness seems like manic activity'

I've noticed the preferred tactic of the force sword / force buckler user is to do a Heroic Charge / move and attack with the Force Sword

Now they can't parry, but they can Block, and they can dodge (both of which get the +3 DB)

They also are semi popular at doing committed attacks, as they trust the shield, and theyve sunk enough points into shield they need to compensate a bit for their correspondingly lower force sword skill usually . . . though often they will just use basic attacks so they can still parry etc

I personally allow the Multi Block rule (at -5 per, reduced to -3/-2 with Weapon Master) . . . usually peoples dodge is high enough they don't actually use it much, since shield skill rarely gets raised sky high. But the +3 to dodge is awesome

I personally allow the 'improved chambara defenses vs rear attacks' to be used with force bucklers and other lightweight shields also . . . since if I can deflect a rear attack with my 2lb force sword Im sure I can manage it with a .5 lb force buckler!

That said, charging headlong into the fray with any sort of weapon allows greater risk of getting flanked and smacked in the back . . . I don't recall seeing any evidence that shield users are at any greater risk than anyone else (except that shields usually are not force bucklers, and thus way a ton, thus are wielded by people who put lots of points into brawniness so they not be immobile while carrying big heavy shields and other goodies, and thus put less points into zooming around like a hummingbird)
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote