View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Seraphim and Profanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Wasser View Post
A name is just a set of phonemes or symbols that people use to designate something.
So is language itself, yet Seraphim become dissonant for misuse of those symbols in a more general sense as well. Why should names be different? In fact, in the traditions that In Nomine is based on, names are more significant than the average word and carry some power: "Whatsoever the man called it, that was its name."

I really don't see why the canonical example "makes no sense," as you put it. In each case, it's a clear example of marrying expression with intent.

(Heck, even though it's canon that some Seraphim are able to tell stories -- since the audience clearly knows the account is fictional and that the purpose is to entertain rather than decieve -- I rather suspect it was one of the Most Holy who began the classic Islamic storytelling opening: "It is said, though Allah alone knows the truth ..." )

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote