View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #16
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscurian View Post
My choice of TL used to be TL10. Then I took a look at specific changes in Spaceships and went with TL11^. I figured it had a lot to do with how fighters are treated in GURPS format.
I thought it was an interesting choice because I felt like I could see your logic. I find Star Wars on the cusp between the two myself. For example, the robots seem to fit better at TL 10, and Star Wars lacks most of the transformative technology (like nanotech) that you see at TL 11. But a force sword and force fields and blasters (assuming that Star Wars blasters are charged particle beams and not, say, TL 10 lasers) are all TL 11. But on the other hand, you could make the case that the Old Republic was TL 11, and Star Wars slid back to TL 10. It would certainly emphasize the power and "elegance of another age" of the light saber.

Quote:
So you speak from experience. Which setting did you actually try converting out of curiosity?
Oh, let's see: Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Warhammer 40k, and Exalted. None of them panned out... but when I gave up on the Star Wars conversion and just went for a new setting I called Resplendent Star Empire, I had a hit on my hands. Thus, I'm preaching my experience: turn your conversion into your own property, and do your own thing with it, and you'll have a hit.

Quote:
I'll check into SS4 and see what the Typhoon-class deep space fighter is all about.

True, it'll take longer. The only thing that takes me longer is statting out every single bit of Star Wars. Mind you, my campaign does not mean that I have to stat out every single thing. The only things I need to do is stat out relevant things that are going to be helpful in the campaign. It would be nice to have actual data on every single thing in Star Wars but it's a start with what I can work with.
I do want to rush in and say there's nothing wrong with working out these stats, or doing your research. I applaud that and I don't believe that real creators can just conjure material from nothing. We steal and then refurbish, and studying up on material is the first step in stealing. I'm just encouraging you to take the second step and refurbish.

Quote:
For instance, my campaign will only need a Victory-class Star Destroyer, an Interdictor, an Imperial Star Destroyer MK I, Imperial/Rebellion starfighters, Independent starfighters, freighters, industrial haulers, and other minor bits. Then it's good to go. Besides, I don't intend to stat out every single bit in Star Wars. With the campaign done, I can start adding more just to expand. :)
That's healthy. If you watch me build my Psi-Wars setting, you'll see I do much the same: Build a bit, make sure it works, play with it, and then expand.

Also check out the Empire-class dreadnought in SS 3, which you can probably tweak into both your standard destroyer and your interdictor. The Victory class could just be a bigger one, or a Continent-class Super-carrier from SS 4. Your independent starfighters can be other fighters from SS 4, and your freighters can come from SS 2, if you really need them to have stats.

Quote:
I could. It's not a bad idea, TBH. I'd be OK with homebrewing my own setting that takes inspiration from Star Wars, Deathstalker, and a few other books to create an unique setting in which the players could actually do something. Perhaps Force powers are used as psionic powers with devastating consequences. Perhaps lightsabers are replaced with stronger than any types of metal swords, disruptor pistols that can only recharge one shot per ten minutes, and a mixture of TLs to go with. This can be a setting I'm really looking forward to someday.
That's the idea! And you can dig through UT for ideas. Say the hyperdense blade really speaks to you, and you like some ideas in one of the latest pyramid. Why not toss them together? You can build your setting your way, and when your players say "What are we playing," you can say "Well, Psi-Wars is like Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, and a twist!" and they'll know enough to join in "Cool, can I play something like a wookie bounty hunter?"

Quote:
I have one where it's TL9 with specific supersciences but is surrounded by empires that are either TL9^ or much lower. Other empires that have lower TLs do have supersciences that help advance them in some way. Plus, there's a developmental blog that I will be trying to keep track of, if I can. Here it is. This blog will help keep track of what I can remember as far back to when I was 17. I will need to keep the data updated, written into Word 2016, and made into a Sourcebook document.

Personally, sometimes creation to me can be a headache because you have to ask yourself many questions before the idea takes root. Even if it takes root, sometimes it can be a pain to actually kill your little darlings to make way for a better idea. Sometimes, this way, it can be painful.

I can understand the nature of your post. While controversial, I can't say that you're heretical. You're simply pointing out something that I haven't thought of. It's nice to see it from a different perspective.

However, Inquisitors of the Imperium of Man might not agree. :P
I encourage you to watch the rest of my Psi-Wars series. Even if you have no intention of playing with the resulting setting/campaign, I explain all of the steps so that people like you can see what I'm doing and then can do it themselves for their own settings.