View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #27
Tomsdad

Default Re: Actual Impaling Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Frost View Post
12.7 x 99mm torso hit within effective range is instant death !
The temporary wound cavity expands so far beyond the bodies' recoverable elastic limit it bursts apart like a balloon .
"Temporary cavity" is like "Hydrostatic shock", as in it can happen and these are real effects but those effects on an actual target are variable and not as clear and uniform as is often reported and repeated. There are a lot of interlinking factors and effects.

Quote:
S.O.P. when hit by .50 BMG is to spread yourself out over 10 square meters in several pieces then discover if there is an afterlife only in reverse order .
It is actually one of only 2 things Sylvester Stallone has ever portrayed accurately in a movie , those things being : shortness and what happens to a Human that is shot within 1,000 meters by 12.7 x 99mm or greater .
It's a funny line, but not necessarily true. (well OK Stallone is short) Also is the film in question the one which has human targets flying back several meters when being hit by bullets that are being fired by people.

Quote:
Also , the 20mm H.E. you mention at the end generally had fuses meant for harder material than flesh such as Duralumin-like alloys {it was an anti-aircraft gun} and might not even trigger passing through a Human torso {I pretty certain Minengeschoß was not available in 20 x 138b}
As I said the fuse timing maybe an issue (also with the caveat that Hollywood is Hollywood, if you watch the scenes they not actually exploding but having bits blown off them or having great big holes blown through them).

Quote:
The FlaK 38 has well over twice the .50 BMGs' muzzle energy and that effect they showed of bodies violently disintegrating would happen entirely from kinetic energy transfer {basically inducing the flesh to accellerate away from the projectile so energetically it literally rips its' self to pieces} .
Cite please, because as has been pointed out people shoot deer that are smaller and it doesn't happen. Remember the bullet doesn't have time to transfer all it's energy in the target, that exactly what the rules in HT is showing. (And why there is a whole industry devoted to bullets that do). Although that said energy isn't shed evenly as it travels through and out and keeps going.

Quote:
Here is an example of why it matters :
*The target is H.T. 10 and hits are to torso
*Weapon A delivers a blowthrough maximum damage of 20
*Weapon B delivers a blowthrough maximum damage of 30
*To reduce subject to -50 Hit Points where upon survival is impossible requires 3 hits From Weapon A but only 2 from Weapon B
*If both did only 10 Hit Points , not only would it require 6 hits for both but would also require the same from 12.7 x 99 , 14.5 mm soviet , 15mm Besa etc {or 4 if wound modifiers are factored in} which is purely cinematic {again , it takes exactly 1 in real life} .
Its only a problem if we take it as read that any hit from 12.7mm or higher is instant explody death, I don't so it's not a problem

Quote:
If the results with My proposed system are too much with bleeding rules factored on total damage , then factor bleeding on My blowthrough limits ; I can't see armour piercing bullets causing as much as ball any way .
It's not a factor of it being too much with bleeding factored in, it's that bleeding will kill your target perfectly well in a realistic(ish) fashion without your add on. It's just it's not instant (well unless you hit a location without an injury cap of course).

If you want to emulate the effect you've described than go for it, and I think you tweak will do that (although you might want to add a ex cr effect to hit), just that's not necessarily the same as matching reality.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-23-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote