View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #22
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Actual Impaling Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
I can see the problem here with bullets that realistically make people explode. The solution would be to house rule that certain bullets or rounds cause internal explosion damage not from an actual "explosion" but from a compressed shock wave of air.

Of course, I'm no expert on fire arms so I would have no idea how to implement this idea or at what range this would come into play.

Maybe have small piercing do 1d of explosive damage for every 4d of normal damage dealt, 3d for piercing, 2d for large piercing, and for every 1d for huge piercing? That would make a .50 caliber large piercing rifle that deals something like 12d basic piercing damage deal 6d internal explosive damage.
Now you have big ass rifles blowing heads, limbs, and entire torsos apart. Maybe even near misses could deal half of what the explosive damage would have been just from the force of the bullet passing by.
Even better, you could have the explosive damage factor into knock-back for some cinematic effect. And, for some realism the explosive damage could deal blunt trauma damage if the bullet is stopped by armor. That way Iron Man can't walk away from a tank round to the face.

Small Pierce, Pierce, Large Pierce, Huge Pierce

4d, 3d, 2d, 1d
The problem is that it isn't an explosion. It's a splash. The temporary cavity is that air bubble created from the equivalent of a rock being thrown into water really fast. Only the rock is a very fast bullet, and the body of water is a person. It usually closes up after itself.

A near miss would only have, at most, a light breeze going past.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote