View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #24
Langy

Default Re: Standard deviation on Stat distribution?

Quote:
ATTRIBUTES
I like p. B14 well enough, but I might add some more categories:
6 or less Crippling (literally -- you can't live a normal life)
7 Poor (you can life a normal life, with care, but never be an adventurer)
8-9 Below Average (low side of able-bodied, probably the lowest an adventurer should ever have)
10 Average (most scores for most people)
11-12 Above Average (high side of able-bodied, probably a good average for adventurers)
13-14 Exceptional (highest you'll likely meet on the street, above average for adventurers)
15-16 Amazing (highest you'll likely see or hear about, strongly defines an adventurer)
17-18 Legendary (historical "bests" and remarkable fictional heroes)
19-20 Mythic (astounding even among great heroes in fiction and folklore)
21 or more Superhuman (off-limits to humans, barely suitable for great heroes, okay for deities)
I like this a lot. It makes the 17-18 group have only a few people in the planet (which sounds a hell of a lot more reasonable than there being 6-7 people with stat-20 around today, which is so high they're experts at almost anything they even attempt, much less actually study for), and it describes things rather well.

Quote:
In an earlier, somewhat contentious thread, it is demonstrated that the values given on p. B14 establish a standard deviation of about 3 attribute points
That can't possibly be right. Look at the effects of what stat-16 or higher gives you. That's only two 'standard deviations' by your method - two standard deviations is approximately 95% of a normal population, so 2.5% of the population would have better than a 16 in any stat. That's crazy talk right there.

Besides, saying 'most people have between 7-13' just means the standard deviation is probably something less than three. Three is approximately the maximum, not the actual value. The standard deviation could be 1, leaving 9-11 as 65%-ish, 8-12 95%, 7-13 99.5%, etc., and those are still 'the majority', because 99.5% is still greater than 50%.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote