View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Are styles that require two sword skills a bad deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It might not be terribly inappropriate to have a penalty to attack and/or defend when using two long weapons, even when you aren't doing a Dual Weapon Attack (as the two weapons can get in the way of each other)
yep that's basically where I'm coming from

Quote:
You quickly run into the wall that is Ambidexterity, which automatically removes the off-hand penalty for all weapons (and for operating machinery, writing, etc) and only costs [5]. That's the reason MA reduced the price - there's no good reason to charge characters just as much to have off-hand training with a single skill as having it with every skill.
Yeah that's one reason why I was thinking of keeping it to 2 points at most, but even then do it twice and you only 1 point away from ambidexterity anyway.

However that said again I think there's a distinction between your off hand being as good as dominate hand and being able to use two reach 1,2 weapons at the same time without any extra issue. So while I said I wouldn't do two house rules in my first post to make that distinction, I might still require a 1pt perk for ambidextrous people to use two reach 1,2 weapons at once. (It's not just about what hand your using but often how your employing your whole body this being in general more true for longer larger weapons).

But like I said this is really just putting up road block in front of being cool, so I'm not sure I'd worry about it even in my games that tend towards gritty low level stuff. Mainly because I also often see the kinds of benefits I described earlier to having a hand free anyway!

Ultimately I think realistically ambidexterity / handedness and its application is more a range than binary either/or situation. However again this is just a game, there's only so much detail worth going into here IMO.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, no - the wakizashi was a secondary weapon, for if you lost/broke your katana (which itself was largely a sidearm on the battlefield), or if you needed a shorter blade (say, for committing seppuku/harakiri). Miyamoto Musashi rather famously dual wielded on a few occasions, but from what I understand even he typically stuck to using a single weapon (which wasn't always a katana, he seemed to have a fondness for wooden swords of various sizes).
Yep that what I was thinking..