View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#51): Extra Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
So how about taking a page from Extra Legs
Extra Arms cost 10 for 3; 20 for 4; 30 for 5 or 6; 40 for 7 or more. This takes into account the diminishing returns you get for a lot of extra arms.
Change the Grappling bonus to +2;+4; +6, +8 rather than +2 per arm.
And consider it a general and situational bonus for things like Climbing where the GM feels they would help.
That's a strong approach for these things, but its likely to work well. It reminds me of a reworking of G: SPACE's alien limb table I did, where I decided that more than 16 limbs is usually very close to no limbs: compare a snake with a centipede. I'd still quibble about what an octopus can and can't do, but that's a different matter, and I think we've done as much as we're going to there.

Each +2 to grappling could be bought as a racial bonus for [4], and you have to give up a limb to do so, so arguably each +2 is worth about [3]. Gurps doesn't add points in all cases, but its still worth looking at decoupling the grappling bonus from extra arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Though one thing to keep in mind about using the Extra Legs path: each Extra Arm allows using one Extra Attack without having to buy Multistrike, and unlike legs, arms can wield (force-multiplying) weapons.
That's worth about [5]. I think the bigger deal is the extra parry that it gives you. I think both of those give diminishing returns unless you have bought stupidly high levels of extra attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Extra Arms on their own seem to be a pretty decent deal; the problem is that applying Extra-Flexible to all of them hits diminishing returns very fast, but the total cost of the enhancement scales linearly with arm count. It's a situation where one part of the package has diminishing returns and another doesn't. Having Extra-Flexible cost [5] for one arm and [10] for all arms (like in 3e) would be fairer, IMHO; I'm not sure why the change was made.
That is an interesting point. I'll have to remember that (I know squat about 3e). It does make the octopus easier to build, and its also easier to track on a character sheet. It still doesn't give as many options for some but not all arms being extra-flexible, so that might have been the issue.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote