View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #33
Lupo

Default Re: Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
My own objection to GURPS Lite is that it isn't low-res, just incomplete. For example, GURPS Ultra-Lite is very low-res, but complete. It's a simpler game.
Yes, that's right.
Actually I think that both games are not particularly good a "simple, standalone games". After all, why they should be? This is hardly the main concern of GURPS. And I doubt that it is really possible to build a game which works very well on many different "resolutions". Simple games make assumptions and design choices which are fundamentally different from those of "complex" games.

There are plenty of simple (and very simple) games around, many of them are free, too, and I think they work better than GURPS Ultra-Lite or Lite for this purpose. (They better do, since it's the only thing they can do!)

E.g., if I want to play a game simpler than chess, I will play checkers... I won't play chess with just 4 pieces. And if I want to play a simple RPG for a quick evening of play, I'd probably choose Risus, or the basic rules of Fudge, rather than GURPS Lite.