View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #31
Darekun

Default Re: Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

My own objection to GURPS Lite is that it isn't low-res, just incomplete. For example, GURPS Ultra-Lite is very low-res, but complete. It's a simpler game. GURPS Lite, OTOH, is a slice of full GURPS. Hm, Frosty, have you looked at GURPS Ultra-Lite?

Of course, I want a system that generally lets me tune the res to the campaign. GURPS isn't that system; for the most part, it doesn't change res, instead it changes completeness. So Lite actually works as a better demo the way it is, that's just not a good thing :J

If, for example, you had a system that implemented tunable res with "redundant" rules modules of varying length/res/etc, then you could list only the lowest-res rules modules and have a complete, Lite-sized game. The result would play more like Risus(which is about Lite-sized, but complete, because it's always low-res).

One way to naively interpret an ROF stat would be multiple attack rolls per action. That's unwieldy when rolling actual dice, but effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
One thing Lite is useful for is as a quick reference for players who don't own the Basic Set, but are playing in a full GURPS game.
IIRC, it's not compatible enough for that. When I assumed that would work and ran an online game where one player only had Lite, his character ended up incompatible. (Something to do with medical skills, I think…)

For a Lite magic, I think Hawthorne magic(the system in G: Magic) is entirely the wrong way to go. It's specifically oriented toward vast rules word-counts. Maybe stripped down and "canned" builds of Control and Create from Powers?