View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #76
Skarg

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Your question has inspired another idea... what if the staff represents formal membership in the Wizard's Guild; a symbol of their status within the organization?

That would certainly justify the delay in acquiring one. And maybe the initial 500 XP required to earn the staff could represent some kind of 'test' that the starting wizard must pass to be accepted. Yeah, I like that... except now I need to create a mini Death Test solo adventure; welcome to the Trial of Mages!
Not to say it's a bad idea, but it strikes me that this seems a bit like the reverse of the situation described for the ITL Wizards' Guild, which seems to want or even try to require (and according to ITL, mostly succeed) in having all wizards be members (i.e. they want to collect dues and exert power & authority over them, so they might not want such a barrier to entry). Maybe though it might be a sign and/or prerequisite for some rank in the guild, now that it is tied to the ability for experienced mages to have mana staves.

Also, in original TFT at least, and I would think even in new ITL, there would be a fair proportion of good wizards who do not get staff abilities, preferring to concentrate on other abilities.

My own house-rules-in-progress have been separating the combat functions of staffs from the mana functions of staffs, because I like to think different wizards have different interests and should not have one path that lumps together mana powers with powerful zappy combat powers.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote