View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #73
TippetsTX

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

Transferring Skarg's comments from the 'Heal spell' thread where I posed the following question...

I'm curious what you thought of my solution over in the 'Powers' thread.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=57

I considered many of the concerns and suggestions raised in this very thread as I was designing it (quite a long, but helpful exercise reading all those posts back to Steve's original proposal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Honestly that's one thread I actually haven't read, because I've been really busy and it seemed to be about a powers variant that seemed like it would take some effort to digest and appreciate.

So I'm not sure how well I can comment since I've only really now read the first post and the one you just linked.

For instance, I don't know if it's in the context where the only way to learn talents is to spend 500XP per point.

And I don't know if there are other prereqs besides spending the listed XP?

Because if it is essentially 1 talent point worth of learning per power, but with a limit of 5, then 500XP seems quite cheap for a magic power. If Bob gets level 1, 2, and 3, is that 500 + 500 + 500 XP? Or 500 + 1000 + 1500 XP?
So to clarify the proposed progression, the 1st tier power (Bestow Grace) is 500 XP, but the 2nd tier healing power costs 1000 XP and you must have the 1st power before you can select the 2nd. Other than that, I dont have any other prerquisites defined for the powers in this portfolio though I am open to suggestions. And yes, the listed XP is in the context of the Legacy edition rules for talent/spell costs (in my own campaign, I will likely alter the costs to align with the more aggressive XP schedule that I shared in another thread). I am considering changing the escalating XP cost of Powers to be a flat cost of 1000 XP per Power regardless of tier, however.

Quote:
Leaving all those questions aside, the healing power has a great advantage over SJ and most other proposed spells, in that it does not create a scheduling game about resting up fatigue and casting the Aid spell as much as possible to keep using it. That's great.

And it is limited to a rate per user per day, which is also, I think, good.

It does range quite a bit in what that maximum is, starting at 2/user/day, up to 15/user/day for a master physicker with the level 5 power, who also gets 4 other super powers to use.

2/day is quite useful, but not a huge effect. 5/day I would call a strong effect. 15/day seems to me like a really big deal, since it lets you heal up even a hugely-wounded warrior who would normally take weeks of bed rest to heal, in one day, and/or path up most wounds a party might take from a typical encounter where someone got hurt, in one day. And it seems you could do it while marching, adventuring, etc.

So the level of healing hero is quite significant, and then the question becomes how rare are these people who have these powers, can PCs start with them, can PCs find NPC people with them fairly easily and convince/pay they to join their party, how hard is it to gain these powers, etc.

And then how many healers of what level will determine how quickly wounds vanish for the people who have them. And that's a matter of GM/player preference for availability of healing.
Given the escalating XP costs (7500 XP to reach the final 5th tier power plus whatever it would take to qualify for Master Physicker) I would expect characters or even NPCs that are dedicated enough to maximize the healing ability presented here will be quite rare. That's how intend to play it in the Ptolus campaign I've been developing.

Quote:
So, it seems like healing at somewhere from moderate to quite strong, to me, and in a version that is nicely easy to see what it is (unlike spells that attempt to limit by fatigue). So, good job (even if my own taste would be to have it be unknown or very rare, because I like people to usually have to actually rest for days to heal up major wounds).
Thanks, all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-19-2019 at 03:10 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote