View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Groslon

Default Re: Only 1 player help please

Err, we it looks like everyone is thinking "Fantasy" fighters, is that a correct assumption? Because guns are a great force multiplier. One PC soldier with an automatic weapon and a sack full of rounds can bring the pain.

As a GURPS GM I have often found that one of the best ways to transition players from DnD to GURPS is to run a scenario that DnD couldn't pull off in a million years. I've used the zombie apocalypse, MIB investigations, and low powered supers played out in short story arcs, to get new players comfortable with the system.

You might try one of these options to make his first foray into GURPS a little more memorable than another fantasy fighter.

Personally, I'd make him a Rwandan child soldier, who's village was wiped out by a tribal militia. Maybe he can rescue some captives, maybe he just works his way up the ranks until he takes out a bush general. Either way, it'd be one heck of a ride, and a very memorable story arc. Just stack the odds in his favor by letting him set up ambushes, and face very low skill opponents. It would also be a good idea to never have them aim, it's realistic and your PC doesn't get shot up. Make sure he's got some Luck.

If Fantasy is you thing, then it depends a lot on his point budgets as a fighter, and what campaign conventions you are going with. Since you mentioned DnD, I will assumed it will be fairly cinematic, with him getting extra attack, and probably Weapon Master, and some Enhanced Parry. All of these are good for taking on lots of low skill opponents. Try to keep the skills on the mooks 4 to 6 points below your PC and they will have to resort to telegraphic or all out attacks to threaten him, and he can take advantage of that. Defenses are going to be very important, and make sure he's got a shield so some archer doesn't pick him off.

If you can get his active defenses up above 12-14 he will be very survivable in a street fight, and stand a pretty good chance in longer, higher powered confrontations. Weapon Master will let him make more parries with a higher chance of success.
Groslon is offline   Reply With Quote