View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #5323
GreatWyrmGold

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

I just finished watching Shaun's feature-length video on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Needless to say, a video going over the details and causes of a historical tragedy makes me think of ways that that tragedy could have been avoided.

History stuff from that video:
Spoiler:  

So here's my thought. Sometime early in 1945 (probably a bit before the Yalta Conference), Soemu Toyoda dies and the Moderates (with help from Mitsumasa Yonai) make sure a Moderate is chosen as his successor. Let's call this successor Captain Juzo Okita.
Captain Juzo has two roles in this alt-history. One is to break the deadlock between Moderates and Hardliners; the other is to convince the Minister of Foreign Affairs Shigenori Tōgō (another Moderate) that Stalin won't bail them out. This leads to Japan actively seeking surrender around March, perhaps after the firebombing of Tokyo. FDR accepts their surrender in a way that makes it clear both that they're not getting rid of the emperor and that that doesn't count as a condition, letting them get everything they want out of the surrender.

At this point, Germany hasn't surrendered yet, but the war is basically over. The occupation and reconstruction of Japan start a few months sooner, and Japan is spared a few months of economic damage (and two nukes, of course). FDR still dies; the Trinity Test and the rest of the Manhattan Project continue, heedless of how they won't be used on their long-selected targets, and eventually a public demonstration is made to show the overwhelming power of the US military (a proposal made in our timeline before the generals decided to just bomb cities anyways).
Stalin is ****** that the other Allies made an agreement to let them take land from Japan and immediately invalidated it by ending the war before they could join, which doesn't help tensions between the USA and USSR at the start of the war. On the other hand, he didn't get a chance to break his non-aggression pact, so relations between the USSR and Japan might not be as bad, letting Japan potentially serve as a diplomatic intermediary between them and the USA? I dunno, I'm just trying to think of how this timeline could move forward.
GreatWyrmGold is offline   Reply With Quote