Thread: Defensive Auras
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #232
naloth

Default Re: Defensive Auras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Expanding scope of the target enjoying its benefit.
Expanding the scope of an existing benefit might make sense. Adding a benefit that it never had does not.

Quote:
You're talking about Auras as if it were a limitation instead of an enhancement. Enhancements widen the scope of instructions.
No, I'm talking about the circumstances under which it comes into play. Ignoring half the rules of modifiers is not the way you follow the rules.

Quote:
So you agree that Affects Others is not optional, requiring 'Selective' modifiers to turn it off?
That's the default for modifiers.

Quote:
"Melee Attack (-30%). That's a range 0, "if I touch you or you touch me" type of thing." + "Melee Attack takes care of the "ground zero is at range zero" element"
Are you back to quoting from Auras of Power thread, where the variant used just maintain duration and the contact restrictions were intentionally loosened with new guidelines presented later?

Quote:
I don't think that is why, because C-range Melee does not actually require contact (it can represent an energy dagger, for example) and Aura can attack beyond range C (kicks).
Read Aura, see what it says. It lists both the -30% melee and the restrictions adding it on imposes.

Quote:
AE isn't applied to "Force Field" either, not seeing your point. Just because you apply an enhancement to the underlying trait doesn't mean it can't be specific to attributes added only through another enhancement. You can add Extended Duration to the 10 seconds gained by 'Persistent', as an example.
Let's try to make this simple. Persistent adds 10 seconds to the ability. Extended Duration multiplies any duration the ability has. Extended Duration requires the ability has a duration, but however the ability get it is good enough for you to use the multiplier. Area Effect can be applied to DR. Affects Others says how it would apply to an area ability. Force Field says how it would work on an area ability with Affect Others. All of those apply changes to the base ability, and usually when we have other modifiers that would interact in a different way, we get instructions on what happens.

Aura allows you to have a switchable "if you touch me or I touch you" trigger added to cause the abilities affects. Area allows you to extend the effects of an ability to an area. You're suggesting that Area can alter the trigger rather than extend the effects. Perhaps that would be fair for certain things (Afflictions where it would just do the same thing but at longer reach), but it's certainly not fair if you're using it to give you a defense that would be more powerful and cheaper than actually buying a defense advantage.

Quote:
Do you have an example of a non-Aura -30% IA coming out from the feet and being usable at reach 1?
Sure:
Flaming Foot of Death 10d burn (Melee R:1, cannot parry -30%) [35] which if I wrote a Melee -30%, you wouldn't know exactly which pieces of melee I was taking. Interestingly Aura requires Melee -30% (C level) but is also cannot get the extra -5% from cannot parry since auras cannot be used to parry (defend). You can either take that as Auras have extra rules that limit the scope of what an Aura can do, or you can take that as melee being priced with the understanding that you'll have the reach of your body even though it's bought with C reach. Either way, it prices out the same as above and it doesn't ever get to defend.

Quote:
Characters have to know, or else you wouldn't be allowed to wait until the strike roll to choose whether or not to defend.
Characters don't choose that. Players do, and they know. When you use a Wait, your put your character into "observe and only act when the character perceives this event"

Quote:
Where is this elaborated on?
Feints put your opponent at a disadvantage by having them react to a perceived (but fake) attack.

Quote:
All the more obvious it is NOT perceived as an attack. Nobody does a teleport dodge to get out of the way of a feint.
What do you think the contest of skill represents?

Quote:
There is a point after an attack roll is made and before you take damage where people do things like active defenses. I don't see why you couldn't trigger waits in that span.
That is meta-gaming, as surely as you using table talk of information other players discovered that hasn't been relayed to your character.

Quote:
You're not 'experiencing a hit' as soon as the to-hit roll is made. To-hit rolls merely mean it is on the path to hitting, barring interruptions or relocations.
Waits aren't on that list, since they rely on actual perceived events.

Quote:
Meaning that you really should be able to trigger waits not only after the attack roll succeeds, but also after you make your 1st defense roll, because at that point an attack STILL hasn't hit and you ARE aware that your active defense is a failure.
Ask what the wait event was, and if the character could perceive it. If you say "when someone hits me," that only happens after you are hit. If you say "when attacked" that will happen prior to rolls being made, since it's not conditional on being hit. There isn't an event your character will perceive between the attack happening and the attack resolution to interrupt. The dice rolls you are pointing to are game mechanics, not game world events.

Last edited by naloth; 01-26-2019 at 10:40 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote